History of Nailsworth Mills Estate
Nailsworth Mills was originally one of the famous Woollen Mills of the Stroud Valleys.
In 1879 the Mills were bought by E.A.Chamberlain. The company manufactured fibreboard (a recycled paper product being both tough and flexible) supplying primarily the shoe business, followed by car, luggage, and office storage markets.
With falling demand for the product (mainly because of the introduction of plastics), the company developed its main asset – property – providing a base for a wide range of businesses on site.
From craft to hi-tech industry with shops, restaurants, offices and factory units as well as a garden centre on site, Nailsworth Mills provides a nucleus of employment and business opportunities in the heart of Nailsworth.
Nailsworth (population 6000) is surrounded by an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and the surrounding Cotswold villages help provide a shopping population of over 25,000 within ten miles.
In terms of evolution Nailsworth Mills now provides a base for international companies who have chosen Nailsworth as their London office rather than the hubbub of the Metropolis.